Baby teeth eruption
There are 20 primary or baby teeth and they should appear before the child is 3 years old.
If your child is teething and seems to be in pain, you can:
- Rub the gums with your finger or a cold washcloth.
- If the pain persists, your dentist, pharmacist or doctor may recommend an over-the-counter medication to relieve the pain.
Here's what NOT to do:
- DO NOT use the kind of pain medication you rub on your child's gums; he/she could swallow it.
- DO NOT give him teething biscuits. They may contain added or concealed sugar.
- DO NOT underestimate a fever. The eruption of new teeth does NOT make babies sick or feverish. If your child has a fever, see your doctor.